- Updated Turnpike Drainage Kickoff Overview (posted 07/20/2022)
- Updated Drainage Connection Permits KMZ File (posted 06/10/2022)
- Updated QAR Lessons Learned Database (posted 05/05/2022)
- 2022 Turnpike Design Handbook (TDH) (posted 01/28/2022)
- 2022 Turnpike Supplement to the FDOT Structures Manual (posted 01/28/2022)
- 2022 Turnpike Supplement to the FDOT Drainage Manual (posted 01/28/2022)
- Updated Shop Drawing Review Process for Design Bid Build (Conventional) Projects (posted 01/10/2022)
- Updated Shop Drawing Review Process for Design Build (Non-Conventional) Projects (posted 01/10/2022)
- Updated Shop Drawing ProjectSolve Assistance Document (posted 01/10/2022)
- Turnpike Specifications and Estimates – Submittal Guidelines (posted 09/28/2021)
- Turnpike Specification Reviews – Common Issues (posted 09/28/2021)
- Turnpike Estimate Reviews – Common Issues (posted 09/28/2021)
- Turnpike Landscape Setback Guide (posted 08/10/2021)
- Revised Turnpike Landscape Master Plan (posted 08/10/2021)
- Project Checklist for Tolls Design Coordination and Support (posted 08/04/2021)
Extinguish the Torch Lessons Learned Reports:
- E8N60 AET Phase 4B (415462-6)
- E8P54 Resurface HEFT MP 33.2-38.0 (431100-1)
- E8P55 Arterial DMS Installation (435617-1)
- E8L90 Resurface Polk Pkwy MP 8.1-21.7 (423199-1)
- E8L99 AET Phase 4A (415462-2)
- E8M12 PGA Blvd Ramp Bridge Replacement (422349-1)
- E8M46 Resurface Suncoast Pkwy MP 37-46 (427324-1, 3)
- E8M47 Resurface Suncoast Pkwy MP 46-55 (427324-4, 6)
- E8M50 I-4 Interchange Improvements (429331-1)
- E8M59 Polk Pkwy Bridge Painting (427325-1)
- E8M77 AET Phase 6b (406151-4)
- E8M79 Resurface ML Glades Rd to S. of Atlantic Ave (431079-3, 5)
- E8N21 Resurface Seminole Expy MP 50-55 (429023-1, 3)
- E8N22 Resurface Suncoast Pkwy Hillsborough (429025-1, 3)
- E8N37 Polk Pkwy Bridge Painting (431123-1)
- E8M60,2,3 Widen Veterans Expy Sections 1-3 (431275-1,406152-1,406151-1)
- E8P94 Resurface ML MP 238.76-248 (432827-1)
- E8P84 Install CCTV Turnpike Wide (435604-1)
- E8P90 Glades Rd Interchange Improvements (435615-1)
- E8Q77 ITS Improvements (439051-1)
- E8Q41 Resurface ML MP 178-185 (435165-1,435167-1)
- E8Q45 Resurface ML MP 185-190.5 (435166-1,435168-1)
- E8P07 Veterans Expy Express Lanes Implementation Sec 1-3 (435609-1)
- E8N19 Widen Veterans Expy Gunn Hwy to Sugarwood (429350-1)
- E8N52 Widen Veterans Expy Sugarwood to Van Dyke Rd (429350-4)
- E8R64 Veterans Expy Improvements for Bridge Approaches (442631-1)
- E8R57 Emergency Shoulder Use ML NB MP 140-210 (442901-7)
- E8R59 Emergency Shoulder Use ML NB MP 210-249 (442901-8)
- E8R76 Reconstruct ML MP 269.4 – 273.3 (439457-1)
- E8Q92 Resurface ML MP 287.8 – 297.9 (437988-1,3)
- E8Q10 AET Phase 6C (436619-1)
Are there any special requirements for Turnpike structures?
Yes. Structures criteria is found in both the Structures Manual and the FDOT Design Manual (FDM). Please refer to the Turnpike Supplement to the FDOT Structures Manual which addresses modifications/clarification to the requirements in the FDOT Structures Manual. The Turnpike Design Handbook (TDH) addresses modifications/clarifications to the requirements in the FDM.
I have an existing bridge with a minimum vertical clearance between 16′-0″ and 16′-6″? I intend to widen the bridge and maintain the existing vertical clearance. Is a Design Variation required?
No, this is allowed by FDM Table 260.6.1.
I have an existing bridge with a minimum vertical clearance of 16′-4″? I intend to widen the bridge and reduce the existing vertical clearance to 16′-2″. Is this acceptable?
No, this is not allowed on Turnpike projects. Please see TDH Section 260.6.
What structures content should be included in an ERCAR?
Refer to the ERCAR Sample Outline which contains a detailed list of items to be addressed for structures.
Where do I estimate structures hours for an ERCAR on the standard FDOT staff-hour forms?
Since the forms do not address structures ERCAR work, typically a very detailed comment is included on line 9.4 – Misc Common Details. The comment should describe each task with the number of hours required – there may be several tasks to be described. Any ‘final design’ work associated with the project should be shown on the proper bridge tabs (ex: expansion joint rehab on a medium span bridge should be shown on Tab 13).
Where do I estimate hours for the design and detailing of toll gantries?
Please refer to the Turnpike General Tolling Requirements (GTR). Turnpike has created forms for the estimation of the structural design and detailing of gantries. A separate tab should be created for each gantry. The work estimated on these tabs should include the design and detailing effort for the Toll Equipment Structures (Gantries) and Foundations and provide a detailed breakdown of the tasks, sheets and hours in the comments. Totals should roll up to Tab 18 – Other Structures. All other associated gantry tasks should be included on Tab 31 – Architecture.
I have new bridges and sign structures on my project, how do I obtain structure numbers?
Structure numbers are assigned by Turnpike Structures Maintenance. Please refer to the Sign Structure Number Assignment Form which should be submitted. The forms also have the contact information for coordination purposes.
Since PDF files are required for submittal documents, is it ok to scan the hard-copy to PDF?
No, please print/plot/export to PDF format directly from the software used to create the files whenever possible. Scan hard copies only if absolutely necessary (ex: scan the signed/sealed cover page only, not the entire report). This is done to preserve the clarity of the image, reduce the file size and allow the use of Adobe’s ‘compare’ feature.
What office do we apply to for a Utility permit?
Utility Permit Applications should be submitted to the Turnpike Maintenance Office:
US Postal Service Regular Mail Only
P.O. Box 9828
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
UPS, Fed-Ex or Courier
Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise
Turnpike Operations Center
Turnpike Milepost 65
Pompano Beach, FL 33069
(Note: It will show up as undeliverable in the address check systems. This is the correct address.)
Refer to the Turnpike Enterprise Business Permits website for additional contact information:
Submitted electronically through One Stop Permitting.
For the purpose of setting up FAA accounts associated with project coordination, who from the Turnpike should be designated as the “Sponsor”?
For FAA accounts, designate the “Sponsor” as Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise (FTE) with the Turnpike Production Project Manager identified as the “Attention of”.
Mo Hassan, P.E.
District Design Engineer
Todd Bettger, P.E.
GEC Design Program Manager
Brandon Bobo, P.E.
GEC Design Program Manager