What's New in Design
- Updated ERCAR Sample Outline (posted 05/31/2023)
- Updated Turnpike Specifications and Estimates – Submittal Guidelines (posted 05/25/2023)
- Turnpike Specifications Approval Process (MSPs, TSPs, DEVs) (posted 05/15/2023)
- Turnpike Specifications Tracker – MSPs & TSPs (posted 05/05/2023)
- Maintenance Access Details (posted 05/05/2023)
- Updated Pond Siting Report Outline (posted 04/27/2023)
- Updated Drainage Design Checklists (posted 04/27/2023)
- Turnpike Roadway Design Best Practices Checklist (posted 04/14/2023)
- Updated Drainage Connection Permits KMZ File (posted 04/14/2023)
- Updated Toll Siting Tech Memo (TSTM) Template (posted 04/14/2023)
- Updated GTR Deviation Submittal Letter Template (posted 04/14/2023)
- Toll Facilities Scope and Staff Hours Form (31T) (posted 04/14/2023)
- Toll Facilities Engineer’s Estimate Template (posted 04/14/2023)
- Updated Lighting Design Analysis Report Template (posted 04/07/2023)
- Updated Turnpike Typical Section Package Guidance & Checklist (posted 04/07/2023)
- ERCAR Collision Diagram Sample (posted 04/06/2023)
- ERCAR Collision Diagram Crash Info Template (posted 04/06/2023)
- 2023 General Tolling Requirements (GTR) Parts 1-3 (posted 03/27/2023)
- Updated Shop Drawing Review Procedures (posted 03/15/2023)
- Updated Turnpike Design Variation and Exception Checklist (posted 02/08/2023)
- 2023 General Tolling Requirements (GTR) (posted 01/27/2023)
- New Toll Project Responsibility Matrix (posted 12/13/2022)
- New Turnpike Traffic Design Sample Documents (posted 12/06/2022)
- Updated Common Deficiencies on ERC Submittals (posted 11/28/2022)
- Turnpike Design Criteria Documents Sunsetting Implementation Memo (posted 11/08/2022)
- Updated Turnpike Landscape Setback Guide (posted 10/24/2022)
- Turnpike Plans Processing Reviews – Common Issues (posted 10/11/2022)
- Updated Toll Loop Conduit Salvage Detail (posted 09/20/2022)
- Updated Surveying and Mapping Tools Documents (posted 09/20/2022)
- Updated Bridge & Sign Structure Number Assignment Request Forms (posted 09/16/2022)
- Updated Turnpike Estimate Reviews – Common Issues (posted 09/14/2022)
- Updated Turnpike Drainage Kickoff Overview (posted 07/20/2022)
Documents & Publications
- Turnpike Design Lessons Learned Database (posted 03/05/2021)
Extinguish the Torch Lessons Learned Reports:
- E8N60 AET Phase 4B (415462-6)
- E8P54 Resurface HEFT MP 33.2-38.0 (431100-1)
- E8P55 Arterial DMS Installation (435617-1)
- E8L90 Resurface Polk Pkwy MP 8.1-21.7 (423199-1)
- E8L99 AET Phase 4A (415462-2)
- E8M12 PGA Blvd Ramp Bridge Replacement (422349-1)
- E8M46 Resurface Suncoast Pkwy MP 37-46 (427324-1, 3)
- E8M47 Resurface Suncoast Pkwy MP 46-55 (427324-4, 6)
- E8M50 I-4 Interchange Improvements (429331-1)
- E8M59 Polk Pkwy Bridge Painting (427325-1)
- E8M77 AET Phase 6b (406151-4)
- E8M79 Resurface ML Glades Rd to S. of Atlantic Ave (431079-3, 5)
- E8N21 Resurface Seminole Expy MP 50-55 (429023-1, 3)
- E8N22 Resurface Suncoast Pkwy Hillsborough (429025-1, 3)
- E8N37 Polk Pkwy Bridge Painting (431123-1)
- E8M60,2,3 Widen Veterans Expy Sections 1-3 (431275-1,406152-1,406151-1)
- E8P94 Resurface ML MP 238.76-248 (432827-1)
- E8P84 Install CCTV Turnpike Wide (435604-1)
- E8P90 Glades Rd Interchange Improvements (435615-1)
- E8Q77 ITS Improvements (439051-1)
- E8Q41 Resurface ML MP 178-185 (435165-1,435167-1)
- E8Q45 Resurface ML MP 185-190.5 (435166-1,435168-1)
- E8P07 Veterans Expy Express Lanes Implementation Sec 1-3 (435609-1)
- E8N19 Widen Veterans Expy Gunn Hwy to Sugarwood (429350-1)
- E8N52 Widen Veterans Expy Sugarwood to Van Dyke Rd (429350-4)
- E8R64 Veterans Expy Improvements for Bridge Approaches (442631-1)
- E8R57 Emergency Shoulder Use ML NB MP 140-210 (442901-7)
- E8R59 Emergency Shoulder Use ML NB MP 210-249 (442901-8)
- E8R76 Reconstruct ML MP 269.4 – 273.3 (439457-1)
- E8Q92 Resurface ML MP 287.8 – 297.9 (437988-1,3)
- E8Q10 AET Phase 6C (436619-1)
- Turnpike QAR Lessons Learned Database (posted 05/05/2022)
- Top 6 Ways to Improve Consultant Evaluation Scores (posted 12/18/2019)
- Example Consultant Evaluation Comments for Scores of 1 & 2 (posted 12/18/2019)
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there any special requirements for Turnpike structures?
No. Please follow the FDOT Structures Manual and the FDOT Design Manual (FDM).
What structures content should be included in an ERCAR?
Refer to the ERCAR Sample Outline which contains a detailed list of items to be addressed for structures.
Where do I estimate hours for the design and detailing of toll gantries?
Please refer to the General Tolling Requirements (GTR). Turnpike has created forms for the estimation of the structural design and detailing of gantries. A separate tab should be created for each gantry. The work estimated on these tabs includes the design and detailing effort for the Toll Equipment Structures (Gantries) and Foundations. Totals should roll up to Tab 18 – Other Structures. All other associated gantry tasks should be included on Tab 31 – Architecture.
I have new bridges and sign structures on my project, how do I obtain structure numbers?
Structure numbers are assigned by Turnpike Structures Maintenance. Please refer to the Sign Structure Number Assignment Form which should be submitted. The forms also have the contact information for coordination purposes.
Since PDF files are required for submittal documents, is it ok to scan the hard-copy to PDF?
No, please print/plot/export to PDF format directly from the software used to create the files whenever possible. Scan hard copies only if absolutely necessary. This is done to preserve the clarity of the image, reduce the file size, and allow the use of Adobe’s ‘compare’ feature.
What office do we apply to for a Utility permit?
Utility Permit Applications should be submitted to the Turnpike Maintenance Office:
US Postal Service Regular Mail Only
P.O. Box 9828
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
UPS, Fed-Ex or Courier
Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise
Turnpike Operations Center
Turnpike Milepost 65
Pompano Beach, FL 33069
(Note: It will show up as undeliverable in the address check systems. This is the correct address.)
Refer to the Turnpike Enterprise Business Permits website for additional contact information:
Submitted electronically through One Stop Permitting.
For the purpose of setting up FAA accounts associated with project coordination, who from the Turnpike should be designated as the “Sponsor”?
For FAA accounts, designate the “Sponsor” as Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise (FTE) with the Turnpike Production Project Manager identified as the “Attention of”.
Andra Diggs II, P.E.
Turnpike Design Engineer
Todd Bettger, P.E.
GEC Design Program Manager
Brandon Bobo, P.E.
GEC Design Program Manager